|1889 Johnstown City Directory
Cover Benjamin A. home 142 Somerset st.
Cover Benjamin F. carpenter, o h 142 Somerset st. 6-6.
COVER BROTHERS (Wm. C. and C. B.), livery stable, 322 Main street.
COVER CHARLES B. (Cover Bros.), home 320 Main st.
Cover Daniel, pattern maker, o h 341 Locust st. 3-3.
Cover Sadie E. Miss, home 142 Somerset st.
Cover Wm. no occupation, o h 320 Main st. 5-5.
COVER WM. C. (Cover Bros.), o h 89 Adam st. 3-3.
Henry Wilson Storey's History of Cambria County, V.III, p.654
AMOS COVER, of Johnstown, one of the oldest residents of Cambria county, now living in retirement at, Walnut Grove, was born November 13, 1817, on the homestead on Cover Hill, Conemaugh township, son of Adam and Mary (Bashore) Cover. The personal history of Adam Cover will be found in the sketch of C. B. Cover, which appears elsewhere in this work. Amos Cover attended the earliest schools of Johnstown, which were the old-fashioned subscription schools, his first teacher being a Mr. Birry. The schools were held only during the winter months and from various causes he lost no less than half that short period. When only a boy he began to assist his father in the farm duties, helping to clear much of the land where Daisytown now stands, that forming part of the estate. He remained at home until the age of twenty-six, when he married and settled on a farm consisting of seventy-seven acres, situated in Taylor township, belonging to his father-in-law. This property he improved, erecting new buildings, and subsequently adding, at different times, tracts of fifty and fifty-seven acres respectively, both adjoining his own land. Throughout his long career as a farmer he was extremely successful, managing his estate with the most gratifying results until the autumn of 1906, when he retired to his present home in Walnut Grove. While a resident of Taylor township in 1877 he became a member of the German Baptist church, with which he has ever since been prominently identified. He has attended every conference held by the church since 1894, when the session was held at Myersdale, Pennsylvania. He has since been present at conferences held at Carthage, Missouri; Frederick City, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; Bellefontaine, Ohio; Bristol Farm, Roanoke, Virginia, and Springfield, Illinois. On the last occasion and a few preceding it he was the oldest member present. Mr. Cover has been twice married. By his first wife he had one child: Lucinda, who became the wife of Levi Leidy, and died in Taylor township, January 30, 1888, leaving six sons: Harry, lives on his grandfather Cover's farm, married Savilla Weissinger; Howard, at home; Amos, of Taylor township, married Abigail Rose; John, of the neighborhood of Pittsburg, married Mabel Stevens; Blair, at home; and George, teaching in the public schools. The mother of these children died September 24, 1881, and is buried in Singer graveyard. Mr. Cover married (second) November 20, 1833, Sarah Varner, who is, like himself, a devout member of the German Baptist church, of which she became a member in 1861. Notwithstanding his advanced age, having now entered his nintieth year, Mr. Cover is active and energetic both mentally and physically. He writes without glasses, and can partially dispense with their assistance in reading. His long record of integrity and usefulness, combined with his kind and charitable disposition, has won for him the well-deserved veneration and love with which he is regarded by all. Mrs. Cover was born March 31, 1842, in Conemaugh township, and until her marriage lived there and in Taylor township, at the home of her grandfather Goode. She is a daughter of Samuel Varner, who was born in Conemaugh township, son of George and Christina (Horner) Varner, both of German descent, and the former a well-known farmer. Samuel Varner married, and his children were: Sarah, wife of Amos Cover; Nancy, wife of Abraham Fyock, of Walnut Grove; Caroline, wife of Samuel Knabel, of Adams township; Jacob C., of Adams township, married Susannah Knabel; Lucinda, deceased, wife of Jacob Arthur; and Harriet Jane, died in childhood, Mr. and Mrs. Varner both died in Taylor township, at the home of their daughter, Mrs. Cover, the latter passing away in 1892, aged sixty-nine, and the death of the former occurring in 1893, he being then seventy-five years old.
Henry Wilson Storey's History of Cambria County, V.III, p.551
WILLIAM C. COVER, one of Johnstown's enterprising business men, was born April 4, 1850, in the fourth ward of the city in which he now resides, son of William and Mary (Savior) Cover. At the age of six years he became a pupil in the public school taught by Miss Mary Gageby, who is still engaged in her labors as an educator. From this school he was gradually advanced, and at fifteen graduated under the instruction of Miss Brookbank.
He was then employed, at a compensation of fifty cents a day, at grinding bark in the tannery of Peter Levergood, and adhered to this occupation one year. At the end of that time he went to work in the livery stable of David Fulton, having always taken great interest in horses. He then spent one year in the liverv establishment of Charles Zimmerman, after which he was with Ben F. Orr in the undertaking business one year, and then engaged in the dray business for ten years. Meanwhile he purchased the livery business of S. B. Arthurs, situated where the King livery now stands, and at the end of ten years abandoned the dray business with the intention of devoting his entire time to livery, and to the study of veterinary surgery.
In 1885 he took his brother, Charles B. Cover, as a partner, and erected a business building on lots on Main street, adjoining the Cover homestead. This structure was completely washed away in the great flood, its destruction involving a loss of thirty-three thousand dollars. After the flood Mr. Cover and his brother separated, the former rebuilding the livery on one lot and the latter erecting a tenement on the other. The fire of April 11, 1891, which started in the Henderson building, destroyed the structures which were monuments of the enterprise of the two brothers. Mr. Cover succeeded in saving all his horses, moved his stock to Center street, Conemaugh borough, and for one year conducted business in the Castlow stables. After this he was, in company with J. C. Pender, engaged in the livery business on Davis street for one year, at the end of which time the partners separated and Mr. Cover moved to the McDermott barn on Locust street, where for eleven years he carried on a successful business. When the Cambria Steel Company bought the property as a site for their office building, Mr. Cover arranged with them to move the barn to his own lot adjoining, where he has since conducted an extensive and high-class business. He has owned a great many fast horses which he has placed on the race-track. He also carries a license for a starting judge of the National Trotting Association. He also buys and sells the best horses he can find. He is also president of the Johnstown Vehicle Manufacturing Company. He belongs to the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks; the Homeless 26; the Aerie; Fraternal Order of Eagles; the Knights of Pythias; the Knights of the Golden Eagle; the Knights of the Mystic Chain, and the Junior Order of United American Mechanics. He is a Republican and a member of the Lutheran church.
Mr. Cover married, in 1879, in Johnstown, Sadie, daughter of Patrick Scott, of Prospect, and six children were born to them, two of whom survive; William S., and Genevieve, who reside at home. The mother of these children, died October 4, 1895, and in 1898 Mr. Cover married Emma, daughter of J. J. Strayer, of Johnstown. The issue of this marriage has been a son and a daughter: Charles Robert, and Alice Beatrice.
CAMBRIA COUNTY PROBATE WILLS
Vol 5, pg. 480 (17 Oct 1899) thru Vol 10, pg. 334 (2 Mar 1918)
COVER, Amos, h/o Sarah Stony Creek 27 Mar 1909 VIII-7 WCC
COVER, Elizabeth, wife Johnstown 18 Sep 1909 VIII-82
COVER, Mary B., w/o 1-E.F. Beidleman, 2-Cover Johnstown 11 May 1907 VII-304 Huntingdon Cty Cem
COVER, Samuel, husband Conemaugh 03 Dec 1904 VI-505
COVER (Child) Not Listed 17 Jul 1880
Johnstown Age 11m
c/o William C. Cover
Cholera infantum COVER, Fares Not Listed 20 Jun 1882 Abt. 9m
s/o William C. & Sadie Cover COVER, Jacob Not Listed 24 Jun 1884
Johnstown Abt. 60y
s/o Adam Cover
Monday, 11 Sep 1882
VILLAGE ON A HILL
Daisyville is the name that has been given to a little cluster of homes that have been built during the past month or two in a field on the farm of Mr. Alexander Cover, in Conemaugh Township, back of Green Hill. The portion of the farm on which these houses have been located is owned by Mr. Theodore Cover, the well-known carpenter, son of Alexander, and their construction was superintended by him personally. The village is regularly laid off in lots and squares, with streets and alleys of proper width. The lots are fifty feet wide and one hundred and twenty feet deep. During the summer Mr. Cover has disposed of thirty lots, and seven dwellings have been erected. The distance from the head of Main street to Daisyville is about one mile, but from the Bedford pike, in the Seventh Ward, the distance to the village is not much more than half a mile. Mr. Cover expects that during next season thee will be quite a number of houses built within the limits of his embryo town, and that in a few years the place will be in fact, as it is in name, a "daisy".
15-1 1901 COVER, Alice B. TITTLE, A. Dix 20-462
51-2 1893 COVER, Effie Quindora MILLER, Jesse Elmer 11-11
22-1 1887 COVER, Mollie M. HAMM, Charles B. (or C. B.) 3-94
104-2 1905 COVER, Sarah E. MOORE, William W. E. 29-185
56-1 1902 COVR, Agnes MAHAFFEY, James 21-522
Henry Wilson Storey's History of Cambria County, V.III, p.131
JOHN W. TITTLE, chief draughtsman of the Gautier department of Cambria Steel Company, Johnstown, Pennsylvania, is a descendant of some of the oldest families of the state, and among his ancestors were soldiers of the French and Indian wars, the Revolution, Pontiac's war, and of the late Civil war. The daughter of one of his ancestors became the mother of one of the most distinguished men of Pennsylvania--William Freame Johnston, governor of the commonwealth from 1847 to 1853.
In the paternal line Mr. Tittle traces his ancestry back through several generations to Peter Tittle, of Westmoreland county, whose settlement in that part of the state was made about the year 1760. But Peter Tittle's son James married Ann Freame, who was a daughter of William and Elizabeth (Johnston) Freame, and Elizabeth Johnston was a daughter of James Johnston, of county Derry, Ireland, who immigrated to America about the year 1750, and with whom, therefore, this narrative properly begins. Previous to about the middle of the eighteenth century James Johnston was a farmer on leased land in county Derry, Ireland, on the river Derg. His lease of the land expired about 1750, and in the same year he left Ireland with his wife and two sons--Edward and Christie--and one daughter, Elizabeth. They landed at Baltimore, and from there are believed to have gone direct to the
Scotch-Irish settlement on Coneacheague creek, in what is now Franklin county, Pennsylvania, where James Johnston took up land and began farming. Several years before the immigration of the family England and France had been at war both in Europe and their American colonies, but, at the time of James Johnston's settlement in Westmoreland county peace prevailed, and pioneers were gradually working their way into the frontier regions of Pennsylvania, where land was cheap, the soil rich, and a comfortable home was assured the industrious settler in return for a few years of patient labor. However, in the course of a few more years England and France were again at war, and their American colonies soon became involved in the struggle, one of the principal objects of which was supremacy in America; and the territory of Westmoreland county was not far from the line between the possessions of the French and the territory of the English. In May, 1756, Edward Johnston joined a party of pioneers bound for the country farther west. He never came back, and is believed to have been killed by the Indian allies of France. Christie Johnston joined a company to fight against the Indians during Pontiac's war (1763-1766) and was slain in battle. Elizabeth Johnston married William Freame, who had been a private in an Irish regiment raised in Belfast to serve in America during the French and Indian war. He served under Wolfe, and took part in the capture of Quebec, Canada, in 1759. After peace was declared in 1763 he returned with the regiment to Belfast, and afterward came back to America, landed at Baltimore, and went from thence to the Coneacheague settlement near Mercersburg, Pennsylvania, where he married. After marriage they lived at the Johnston home until after the death of the pioneer and his wife, and afterward until the time of the Revolution, when they took up land on Crabtree creek, in Westmoreland county, near the site of the present town of New Alexandria, where they ever afterward lived. William Freame was a member of the military company under Captain Bruce on the ill-fated Sandusky expedition against the Indians in 1782. His wife outlived him several years and was almost one hundred years old when she died. All her life from childhood she was a strict Presbyterian, and entertained strong feelings of antipathy against the Roman Catholic church,. her grandmother having been among those in Londonderry who had been persecuted and besieged by the Catholics in 1690. William and Elizabeth (Johnston) Freame had five daughters. One of them, Elizabeth Freame, married Alexander Johnston, and their son, William Freame Johnston, was governor of the commonwealth of Pennsylvania from 1847 to 1853. Another daughter, Ann Freame, married James Tittle, who was a son of Peter Tittle the ancestor of John W. Tittle of Johnstown. About the year 1760 Peter Tittle settled in the then wilderness region of Westmoreland county, on the banks of a small creek known as Nine Mile Run, in what is now Unity township. He was one of three brothers who came from England together, the others being George and Henry Tittle. The family name of Peter's wife is unknown, but her christian name was Sarah. They had four sons and one daughter: James, Jonathan, Jeremiah, John and Sarah Tittle. Peter Tittle was a famous Indian fighter, and had reason for his hatred of the savages who devastated the country around his home; and family tradition says he was a good shot with the rifle and was able to count his scalps by the dozen. He was a member of Capt. John McClelland's Company of "Rangers on the Frontier" of Westmoreland from 1778 to 1753. His house was an occasional stopping place for soldiers during the latter part of the French and Indian war, and also during the Revolution. in Pennsylvania "Archives" (vol. ii, p. 204), is found the following record: "May 28, 1780, Capt. Isaac Craig, in command of a detachment of Proctor's Artillery, left Carlisle for Ft. Pitt * * * On the way they stopped over night at Peter Tittle's on the night of June 10, 1780." Both Peter Tittle and his wife lived to ripe old age and both are buried in Unity cemetery in Westmoreland county.
James Tittle, eldest son of Peter and Sarah Tittle, was born in 1775, and died at his farm home in Unity township, September 17, 1843. In 1796 or 1797 he married Ann Freame, as previously mentioned. She was born in 1779 and died October 5, 1850. Both she and her husband are buried in the Presbyterian churchyard near New Alexandria. They had children, as follows: Elizabeth Tittle, married William McKee; they lived at Stockton, California; Jeremiah Tittle, married first, Dorcas Reed; married second, Sarah Ferguson; she died in 1906. Johnston Tittle, married Margaret Montgomery; he is deceased. Jonathan Tittle, married Mrs. Roberts and lived in California; now dead. James K. Tittle, married Eliza Jackson and lived at Kittanning, Pennsylvania; now dead. Washington Tittle, married Martha Hudson; deceased. Hamilton Tittle, married Rachel Wibble; deceased. Andrew Jackson Tittle, married Florinda Wallace, deceased. Williamn Freame Tittle, died unmarried, October 18, 1801. John Tittle, married Mary Snodgrass and had eight children; they are deceased.
John Tittle, second child of James and Ann (Freame) Tittle, was born in Unity township, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, on the 18th day of February, 1801, and was eleven years old when his father's family removed to Salem township. In 1819 he went to Greensburg and served an apprenticeship of three years at the cabinet and chair making trade; and then began business for himself at New Alexandria. He lived in that town until 1826, at Youngstown until 1832, and in the year last mentioned moved to a point four miles east of Johnstown, and lived there during the time the viaduct was being constructed. From 1837 to 1843 he kept a boarding house on the line of the Allegheny Valley railroad, which then was in course of construction. John Snodgrass, a brother of Mrs. Tittle, was superintendent of construction on the road, and through him Mr. Tittle obtained the boarding house privilege. On completion of the railroad Mr. Tittle returned to New Alexandria for a year, then came to Johnstown and worked as patternmaker in the shops of the old Portage railroad. He was an excellent mechanic, something of a genius in that respect, and at one time constructed and patented a safety car designed to obviate accidents on the road, and it was first used on the incline at the west end of the tunnel. Later on the car was adopted by the State on its roads and was used extensively where grades were the heaviest. The invention itself was a success, but Mr. Tittle as patentee realized very little profit from his device. In 1858 he removed with his family to Kittanning, and two years later returned to Johnstown. In that year (1860) he began the manufacture of a patent feed cutter, a device of his own invention, and for some time carried on quite an extensive business in a building formerly occupied by the Johnstown Mechanical Works, on the site where the Gautier Steel Company built its wire mill in 1875. On the erection of the wire mill the feed cutter works were removed to a build-
ing erected by Mr. Tittle on Portage street, near Broad street, but the business was soon afterward discontinued and the proprietor returned to his old trade of chair and cabinet making. He died in Johnstown, August 19, 1882. On the 16th day of December, 1824, John Tittle married Mary Snodgrass, daughter of William and Eleanor (Beggs) Snodgrass. She was born April 15, 1805, and died January 25, 1875. Both she and her husband were buried in Sandyvale cemetery, and after the flood of 1889 were removed to Grand View cemetery.
John Snodgrass, father of Eleanor Snodgrass, who married John Tittle, was of Scotch descent, by occupation a farmer, a devout member of the Presbyterian church, and at the time referred to lived in Martic township in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania. On the 15th of December, 1774, immediately preceding the Revolutionary war, he was elected a member of the committee of safety for the borough of Lancaster, and inspector for Martic township. He was an active member of the Lancaster County Associators, a famous military organization of Pennsylvania during the war, and served in Captain Brown's company of Colonel Timothy Green's battalion of Lancaster county militia. On August 31, 1776, he marched with the company into New Jersey against the British, and returned in February of the following year.
William Snodgrass, son of John Snodgrass, was born in Martic township in 1758, and was a farmer. He too was an Associator, and a member of Captain James Rogers' company of Colonel Timothy Green's Hanover Rifles. About 1795 he married Eleanor Beggs, daughter of William Beggs, who was born in Ireland. In 1800 Mr. Snodgrass sold his farm in Lancaster county and removed to Westmoreland county, where in 1801 he purchased one hundred and two acres from Samuel Ramsey in Unity township, and at a later date added one hundred and thirty acres more to his possessions. William and Eleanor Snodgrass had five children: Elizabeth, John, Mary (married John Tittle), Sarah and Margaret Snodgrass.
Children of John and Mary (Snodgrass) Tittle: Ellen Tittle, born December 10, 1825; died December 2, 1898; married William States, and removed to Missouri. James Tittle, born June 2, 1828; married Mary Ringler Orr; had six children. William Snodgrass Tittle, born March 27, 1831; married Maria Worthington, and lives at San Bernardino, California. Alexander Johnston Tittle, born August 20, 1833; died unmarried November 14, 1903. Sarah Ellen Tittle, born May 7, 1836; married Philip Constable, and lost her life in the Johnstown flood, May 31, 1889. John Snodgrass Little, born December 22; 1839; married Jane Maclay, and lives in Johnstown. Cyrus Pershing Tittle, born April 28, 1843; unmarried; drowned in the Johnstown flood, May 31, 1889. Charles Lee Tittle, born October 18, 1845; married Ada Woodruff, and lives at Blairsville, Pennsylvania.
James Tittle, second child and eldest son of John and Mary (Snodgrass) Tittle, was born in Youngstown, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, on the 2d day of June, 1828, and after he was six years old lived with his grandparents until the death of his grandfather, James Tittle, in 1843. In 1846 he started out to make his own way in life, and hired out as driver for Captain George Cupp, of the boat "Naomi," of the Bingham line, on the old state canal between Johnstown and Pittsburg. About harvest time of the same year he left the canal and worked for his uncle, Hon. John Snodgrass, on his farm near New Alexandria, and after the crops were harvested he went to Brady's Bend and found employment in the Great Western Iron Works. He worked for the company, directly and indirectly, about six years, and late in 1851 came to Johnstown with a Mr. Cox and helped to start the works which ultimately became the Cambria Iron Company.
On February 2, 1853, Mr. Tittle in company with his brother Alexander, left Johnstown for California, traveling by way of the Isthmus of Panama and thence up the coast to Sacramento, arriving there on the 24th of the same month. He had been promised and expected a clerkship in the Sacramento postoffice under his uncle, Jonathan Tittle, who was postmaster when the boys left Johnstown, but who died before their arrival, hence no place was open to him. However, he soon found work on a farm at five dollars per day and board, which more than kept him, and soon afterward he took a ranch of one hundred and sixty acres in company with his brother, and carried it on until 1857, then sold his share to his brother and bought about fifteen acres across the river from Sacramento and began truck farming on his own account. This business prospered well enough until the spring of 1859 when, just as the crops were all in, a destructive flood swept over the tract and washed away everything he had, even to gardening implements. As soon as possible after that he sold the land and worked as clerk in his cousin's store at Stockton until June, 1860, when he returned to Johnstown and became interested with his father in manufacturing the patent feed cutter.
In 1862 Mr. Tittle entered the Union army. He enlisted on August 27th in Company K, One Hundred and Thirty-sixth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and shared in the hardships, privations and successes incident to army life for one year. Among the more important battles in which he took part were the Wilderness, Chancellorsville and Fredericksburg. He was discharged from service May 29th, 1863, then came home and again associated with his father in his business enterprises until 1878. In January of that year, when the Gautier works began operations, he secured a position in the wire mill department, and he always claimed to be the first man to work for the Cambria Iron Company. After a few months in the wire mill he was transferred to the Gautier Steel mill and remained in that department as long as he continued in active pursuits.
On one occasion Mr. Tittle narrowly escaped accidental death. On the 14th of September, 1866, Andrew Johnson and other notables visited Johnstown, and in order to obtain a good view of the visitors such a great throng of people crowded upon the platform of the Pennsylvania railroad station that the structure gave way, causing serious results. Among the injured was Mr. Tittle, who at first was thought to have been killed, and he was confined to his house for several weeks. On the occasion of the memorable Johnstown flood in 1889 he was at home and barely escaped with his life. He died October 7, 1901, and is buried in Grand View cemetery. He became a member of Cambria Lodge No. 278, F. and A. M., in 1867, and of Portage Chapter No. 195, R. A. M., in 1868, and was a member of Emory Fisher Post No. 30, G. A. R., from 1888 to the time of his death. On the 2d day of April, 1868, James Tittle married Mrs. Mary Ringler Orr, by whom he had six children, of whom four are living: John W. Tittle, a graduate of the American School of Correspondence at Chicago; now chief draughtsman in the Gautier department of Cambria Steel Company, married Sarah Elizabeth Custer, and has three children. Mary Ellen Tittle, a stenographer, living with her mother in Johnstown. Alexander Dix Tittle, son of James and Mary (Ringler) Tittle, was born November 24, 1873, at Johnstown, Pennsylvania. Educated in common schools, and when but a lad sold the daily papers. He sold the first copy of the Johnstown daily Democrat ever put out in the city. Leaving school he entered the office of the Democrat to learn the printer's trade, was there seven years, covering the business thoroughly from "devil" to office. Leaving there on account of his health, he entered the employ of the Cambria Steel Company, in the works order office, where he remained six years; thence went to the Penn Traffic Company, to take charge of their advertising--two years. His eyes failing, he left and on March 26, 1906, started a printing establishment under his own name. This was merged, on November 1, 1906, with the Conemaugh Publishing Company, of Johnstown, doing a general engraving and printing business. He occupies the position of vice-president of this company. On June 26, 1901, he married Alice Bertram Cover, daughter of Charles B. Cover (see Cover sketch). No issue. Member Lutheran church, of which Sunday school he has been treasurer for a number of years. Member Linton Lodge No. 451, K. P.; Speer Orr Camp No. 14, Sons of Veterans. Ann Josephine Tittle, a graduate of Johnstown High School and Indiana State Normal School; now a teacher in the Johnstown public schools.
John W. Tittle received his early education in the schools of Conemaugh borough, and also attended night school after he had gone to work in the Gautier department of the Cambria Steel Company. He also received further education in special branches by a course with the American School of Correspondence at Armour Institute, Chicago, and holds the diploma of that institution. When he was fifteen years old Mr. Tittle began working in the nail factory of the Cambria Steel Company, and in a few months was transferred to the position of office boy. On the 16th of October, 1889, he was given work on a drawing table with a view of becoming a professional mechanical draughtsman, all of which in due time was accomplished, and that almost wholly through his own persistent effort. In 1899 he was appointed assistant master mechanic, and served in that capacity until 1903, when he was advanced to the position of chief draughtsman of the Gautier department of Cambria Steel Company's vast works in Johnstown. Mr. Tittle has been a member of Franklin Street Methodist Episcopal church and Sunday school since July 23, 1899, and of Speer Orr Camp No. 14, Sons of Veterans, since May 16, 1887. He was elected camp commander 1892, and has filled every office in that organization and served as its delegate to the national encampment. He is a charter member of Alga Commandery No. 218, Ancient and Illustrious Order of Knights of Malta.
On November 2, 1892, John W. Tittle married Sara Elizabeth Custer, daughter of Jacob P. and Amanda (Masters) Custer. Mr. Custer was a soldier of the Civil war, having enlisted September 12, 1864, as a private in Company F, One Hundred and Ninety-eighth Pennsylvania Infantry, and received his discharge June 12, 1865. He was in battle at Peeble's Farm, September 30, 1864; Hatcher's Run, February 6 and 7, 1865; Lewis' Farm, March 29, 1865; White Oak Swamp, March 31, 1865, and joined in pursuit of Lee's retreating army to the final surrender at Appomattox. Children of John W. and Sara Elizabeth (Custer) Tittle: James Custer Tittle, born August 4, 1894. Charles Jacob Tittle, born June 16, 1897. Sara Amanda Tittle, born February 7, 1903.
Biographical & Portrait Cyclopedia of Cambria County Pennsylvania, p.307
CHARLES B. HAMM, proprietor of the Merchants' Hotel, Johnstown, Pennsylvania, is one of the best-known and most successful hotel men in western Pennsylvania, and is always alive to the best interests of his city. His first success was achieved when he was little more than twenty-four years of age. Mr. Hamm made an excellent beginning in life by being born on January 1, 1853. His entrance was made at Clarion, in Clarion county, Pennsylvania. He received a good common-school education, and is also a graduate of Dayton academy, in Armstrong county. Vigorously striking out on his own account, when but little past his majority, he "went West," and for over two years managed the Post Traders' store at Fort Saunders, in Wyoming territory, and in that school of experience his business instincts were thoroughly aroused, and the hard knocks incident to frontier life inured him to the sometimes unpleasant ways of the world, at the same time broadening his views. In 1875 he returned to Pennsylvania, and in 1877 took a clerkship in the celebrated Du Bois House, at Du Bois, in Clearfield county. Six months later he was made manager of the same hotel, and remained in that position for two years. Then he went to Pittsburg and clerked in various hotels of the best class until 1887, when he opened and ran the Albemarle for a year. Then occurred the excellent opening which took him to Johnstown in 1888, as proprietor of the old Merchants' Hotel, which he purchased from Charles Kropp. An almost unparalleled misfortune was soon to overtake him, however, for in the great flood of May 31, 1889, the hotel was destroyed and all that he had ventured in the city was swept away. He did not lose courage, however, but luckily pulled himself together, and in 1890 went to Atlantic City, where, for one season, he operated the Hotel Albion, which contained two hundred and twenty-four sleeping-rooms. Johnstown always remained in his mind, but the ruined city was slow in rebuilding, so in the autumn of 1890 he purchased the Zimmerman House at Greensburg, and presided over the destinies of that popular resort until 1893, when he sold out to excellent advantage and returned to the city from which he had been so rudely driven by fate. In the meantime the "New Merchants'" had been built on the site of the old, a very much larger and superior hotel in every way, and without doubt the finest in western Pennsylvania, outside of Pittsburg. Therefore it was that the year 1894 saw him re-established at "the old stand," under the most pleasant conditions; and there he is today, and for what all his hosts of friends hope may be a bright, happy and successful future.
Mr. Hamm, whose business career has thus been briefly noted, is a son of Daniel B. and Susannah D. (Hoffman) Hamm. His remote paternal ancestors were German, but his grandfather, and even his great-grandfather, were born in America, the Hamms being one of the oldest families in Clarion county, where the grandfather, Christian Hamm, was a farmer, and later, a contractor and builder. Daniel B. Hamm, the father, was born in Clarion county in 1812. He was well educated in the old subscription schools of the period, and, to be more helpful to his father in business, he learned the carpenter trade, but later drifted into the mercantile and hotel business himself, so that his son was "to the manor born." Politically the father was a staunch democrat, and being a man of force and influence in the community he was elected to the office of sheriff, serving from 1852 to 1855. He died in 1864, after a successful career.
Philip Hoffman, the maternal grandfather, was of New England stock, but in early life removed to Danville, Montour county, Pennsylvania, and settled in Clarion county, where he died in 1871. He was a merchant and a local preacher of the Methodist denomination. To complete the personnel of Mr. Hamm's family, his wife, who busily and gracefully presides with him over the fortunes of the Merchants' Hotel, was Miss Mollie M. Cover, youngest daughter of Mr. William Cover, the latter being now, at the venerable age of eighty years, amont, the oldest members of one of Cambria county's first families, honored for his true worth and manliness, and loved by all who know him - our friend's best friends, and therefore linked with him in this brief and imperfect sketch.
Biographical & Portrait Cyclopedia of Cambria County Pennsylvania, p.307
William Cower, Sr., of the Fourth ward, hauled for the late David Prosser, who claimed to have discovered iron ore at this place, the first ore that was taken out of the hill north of the city. The ore was sent to either Baker's or Conemaugh furnace, situated several miles down the Conemaugh river from Johnstown. With the money thus earned Mr. Cover made to Mr. Levergood the first payment on property purchased fron the old gentlemen. Mr. Cover's father came here with Mr. Brenizer, named above, the latter being married to the elder Mr. Cover's sister. The elder Cover settled on "Green Hill," and the old farm is still in the family. Mr. Brenizer met his death in Johnstown, being accidentally drowned.
Biographical & Portrait Cyclopedia of Cambria County Pennsylvania, p.82