|CHAPTER 20 Section 1&2 - REVIEW SHEET
1. What are the 5 factors that helped Britain take the lead in industrialization?
2. WHAT IS CAPITAL?
3. LIST & EXPLAIN THE CAUSES FOR THE POPULATION EXPLOSION IN EUROPE
4. EXPLAIN THE IMPORTANCE OF THE SEED DRILL
5. EXPLAIN CROP ROTATION
6. EXPLAIN THE ENCLOSURE MOVEMENT
7. What was a positive result/effect of the enclosure movement?
8. What was a negative result/effect of the enclosure movement
9. WHICH NATURAL RESOURCES DID BRITAIN HAVE AN ABUNDANCY OF?
10. IN WHICH BRITISH INDUSTRY DID THE INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION FIRST TAKE HOLD?
11. How did the 2nd agricultural revolution contribute to the Industrial Revolution?
12. In addition to technology, what ingredients are needed for industrialization?
13. What invention made railroads possible?
14. Who invented the water frame which used water power to speed up spinning?
15. Who used Watt’s steam engine to power his steam boat the
Clermont up the Hudson River in New York?
16. Who produced better quality and less expensive iron?
17. Inventor of an improved steam engine
18. Who invented the seed drill?
19. Who came up with the idea to grow turnips to restore the soil?
20. Who invented the flying shuttle?
21. Who invented the spinning Jenny?
22. Before textiles were produced in factories the work was done mostly by
women in their homes. This was called the
23. Privately operated roads that charged a fee for travelers to use them were called
1. 1. HUMAN RESOURCES
2. NATURAL RESOURCES
3. ECONOMIC CONDITIONS
4. POLITICAL & SOCIAL CONDITIONS
3. DECLINING DEATH RATE-PEOPLE were LIVING LONGER
*AGRICULTURAL REVOLUTION REDUCED RISK OF FAMINE
*WOMEN ATE BETTERàHEALTHIERàSTRONGER BABIES
*IMPROVED MEDICAL CARE-LESS DISEASE
4. INVENTED BY JETHRO TULL
DEPOSIT SEEDS IN ROWS INSTEAD OF SCATTERED ALL OVER
5. CHARLES TOWNSHEND
-CONSTANTLY PLANTING CROPS
àSOIL NEEDS A BREAK-EXHAUSTED OF ALL ITS NUTRIENTS
àIDEA OF ROTATING GROWING TURNIPS SINCE IT RESTORED THE SOIL
6. -TAKING OVER & FENCING OFF LAND FORMERLY SHARED BY PEASANT FARMERS
-WANTED TO CREATE LARGER FIELDS THAT COULD BE CULTIVATED MORE EFFICIENTLY
7. POSITIVE RESULT/EFFECT
-FARM OUTPUT INCREASED
àPROFITS ALSO INCREASED
8. NEGATIVE RESULT/EFFECT
-DIDN’T NEED AS MANY WORKERS
àMANY LOST THEIR JOBS
àFORCED TO MOVE TO CITIES TO FIND WORK IN FACTORIES
9. IRON & COAL
11. The 2nd agricultural revolution caused the population to increase
large numbers of workers available to work in mines & factories
12. capital & demand
13. steam locomotive
14. Richard Arkwright
15. Robert Fulton
16. Abraham Darby
17. James Watt
18. Jethro Tull
19. Charles “turnip” Townshend
20. John Kay
21. James Hargreaves
22. putting out system or the domestic system