|§ 55 13 02. Right to appraisal.
(a) In addition to any rights granted under Article 9, a shareholder is entitled to appraisal rights and to obtain payment of the fair value of that shareholder's shares, in the event of any of the following corporate actions:
(1) Consummation of a merger to which the corporation is a party if either (i) shareholder approval is required for the merger by G.S. 55 11 03 and the shareholder is entitled to vote on the merger, except that appraisal rights shall not be available to any shareholder of the corporation with respect to shares of any class or series that remain outstanding after consummation of the merger or (ii) the corporation is a subsidiary and the merger is governed by G.S. 55 11 04.
(2) Consummation of a share exchange to which the corporation is a party as the corporation whose shares will be acquired if the shareholder is entitled to vote on the exchange, except that appraisal rights shall not be available to any shareholder of the corporation with respect to any class or series of shares of the corporation that is not exchanged.
(3) Consummation of a disposition of assets pursuant to G.S. 55 12 02 if the shareholder is entitled to vote on the disposition.
(4) An amendment of the articles of incorporation (i) with respect to a class or series of shares that reduces the number of shares of a class or series owned by the shareholder to a fraction of a share if the corporation has an obligation or right to repurchase the fractional share so created or (ii) changes the corporation into a nonprofit corporation or cooperative organization.
(5) Any other amendment to the articles of incorporation, merger, share exchange, or disposition of assets to the extent provided by the articles of incorporation, bylaws, or a resolution of the board of directors.
(6) Consummation of a conversion to a foreign corporation pursuant to Part 2 of Article 11A of this Chapter if the shareholder does not receive shares in the foreign corporation resulting from the conversion that (i) have terms as favorable to the shareholder in all material respects and (ii) represent at least the same percentage interest of the total voting rights of the outstanding shares of the corporation as the shares held by the shareholder before the conversion.
(7) Consummation of a conversion of the corporation to nonprofit status pursuant to Part 2 of Article 11A of this Chapter.
(8) Consummation of a conversion of the corporation to an unincorporated entity pursuant to Part 2 of Article 11A of this Chapter.
(b) Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this section, the availability of appraisal rights under subdivisions (1), (2), (3), (4), (6), and (8) of subsection (a) of this section shall be limited in accordance with the following provisions:
(1) Appraisal rights shall not be available for the holders of shares of any class or series of shares that are any of the following:
a. A covered security under section 18(b)(1)(A) or (B) of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended.
b. Traded in an organized market and has at least 2,000 shareholders and a market value of at least twenty million dollars ($20,000,000)(exclusive of the value of shares held by the corporation's subsidiaries, senior executives, directors, and beneficial shareholders owning more than ten percent (10%) of such shares).
c. Issued by an open end management investment company registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission under the Investment Company Act of 1940, as amended, and may be redeemed at the option of the holder at net asset value.
(2) The applicability of subdivision (1) of this subsection shall be determined as of (i) the record date fixed to determine the shareholders entitled to receive notice of, and to vote at, the meeting of shareholders to act upon the corporate action requiring appraisal rights or (ii) the day before the effective date of such corporate action if there is no meeting of shareholders.
(3) Subdivision (1) of this subsection shall not be applicable and appraisal rights shall be available pursuant to subsection (a) of this section for the holders of any class or series of shares who are required by the terms of the corporate action requiring appraisal rights to accept for such shares anything other than cash or shares of any class or any series of shares of any corporation, or any other proprietary interest of any other entity, that satisfies the standards set forth in subdivision (1) of this subsection at the time the corporate action becomes effective.
(4) Subdivision (1) of this subsection shall not be applicable and appraisal rights shall be available pursuant to subsection (a) of this section for the holders of any class or series of shares where the corporate action is an interested transaction.
(c) Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, the articles of incorporation as originally filed or any amendment to the articles may limit or eliminate appraisal rights for any class or series of preferred shares. Any amendment to the articles that limits or eliminates appraisal rights for any shares that are outstanding immediately prior to the effective date of the amendment or that the corporation is or may be required to issue or sell thereafter pursuant to any conversion, exchange, or other right existing immediately before the effective date of the amendment, however, shall not apply to any corporate action that becomes effective within one year of that date if the corporate action would otherwise afford appraisal rights.
(d) A shareholder holding shares of a class or series that were issued and outstanding as of the effective date of this act but that did not as of that date entitle the shareholder to vote on a corporate action described in subdivision (a)(1), (2), or (3) of this section shall be entitled to appraisal rights, and to obtain payment of the fair value of the shareholder's shares of such class or series, to the same extent as if such shares did entitle the shareholder to vote on such corporate action. (1925, c. 77, s. 1; c. 235; 1929, c. 269; 1939, c. 279; 1943, c. 270; G.S., ss. 55 26, 55 167; 1955, c. 1371, s. 1; 1959, c. 1316, ss. 30, 31; 1969, c. 751, ss. 36, 39; 1973, c. 469, ss. 36, 37; c. 476, s. 193; 1989, c. 265, s. 1; 1989 (Reg. Sess., 1990), c. 1024, s. 12.18; 1991, c. 645, s. 12; 1997 202, s. 1; 1999 141, s. 1; 2001 387, s. 26; 2003 157, s. 1; 2011 347, ss. 1, 22(c).)
G.S. 55-13-02 Page